2. The American ad writer Robert L. May invented which colourful Christmas character in 1939 ?
3. Vanilla plays an important role in many Christmas dishes. One of the best kinds of vanilla was originally grown solely on the island Reunion. The old name for Reunion is also the name of this fine vanilla. What is it called ?
4. What does the word Betlehem mean ?
5. Which Christmas tradition, said to have originated in Germany, was banned in the Soviet Union until 1935 ?
6. Plus or minus 2 years, when did the 'Etch-A-Sketch' first appear under the Christmas tree ?
7. What is the other name for the Holly plant ? 4 letters
8. Which Christmas tradition probably stems from a Engelbert Humperdinck opera ? ( not the 'please release me' Engelbert)
9. Which important spice found in many a Christmas dish or drink stems originally from the Moloken spice islands ? It may help after you have eaten too many sweets !!
10. The following words are from which Christmas songs ?
a. but the prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be on your door step
b. I don't know if there'll be snow but have a cup of cheer
c. all ye nations rise, join the triumph of the skies
d. the world in silent stillness lay, to hear the angels sing
1. Panettone. (Anthony or Tone's bread)
2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
4. House of meat (Arabic) or House of bread (Hebraic)
5. Christmas Trees
8. The witches house made of gingerbread covered in sweets and icing. (From the opera 'Hansel and Gretel')
10. Four Answers:
a. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
b. Have a holly jolly Christmas
c. Hark the herald angels sing
d. It came upon a midnight clear