The following quiz round was submitted by Alan Macdonald from the UK. Thanks Alan, great idea.
Simply put: The answer to the first clue is a five letter word. Add a letter to that word to give the answer to the second clue.
1. A US state where this soldier trained to fight on land or sea may have been born
2. Eat this for breakfast then light a warning signal
3. Make false notes then suffer a memory loss
4. Show ill-will or malice to a fairy or elf
5. A domestic bird castrated and fattened for eating which a famous gangster may have enjoyed
6. Where to save money after Christmas and also check your weight
7. Frighten off when things aren't plentiful
8. Hears the sound of bells ringing and then finds some precious objects
9. A Laxton Superb perhaps that you could variegate with rounded spots of colour and shade
10. A Mediterranean island where you could use your skills to make something