1. Once upon a time, the consumption of foods made with what, often caused ergot poisoning (Holy fire or St. Anthony's fire), resulting in progressive gangrene and/or mental derangement ? Three letters
2. In which countries would you find the following cities ?
d. Gin Gin
3. What is a vitamin D deficiency called ? Seven letters, fifth letter is an 'E'
4. According to Harry Belafonte, what kind of water is "good for your daughter" ?
5. What is 'water of life' in
c. Scottish Gaelic ?
6. In the Arab world, to eat or share what with someone is an expression for hospitality ?
7. A green gelatinous substance known as calipee is used to make which favorite amongst gastronomes ?
8. Translate distill. To .....
9. Which South-East Asian fruit's smell reminds people, to put it mildly, of various stages of decay ?
10. Once very popular in Europe, which leafy weed was later called pig weed because it was said to be only suitable for pigs and Frenchmen ?
1. Rye. Usually it was bread that was contaminated.
2. Four Answers:
a. French Guyana
4. Coconut water. From the song Coconut Woman. "....the thing thats best when you're feeling gloom, is coconut water with a little rum " "coconut water man, its good for your daughter"
5. Three Answers
a. aqua vitae
b. Eau de vie
c. uisge beatha , usquebaugh (whisky)
7. Turtle soup. Calipee is found beneath the lower shell of the Green Turtle.
10. Portulaca, Purslane or Pusley