The following quiz round was submitted by Samantha Bishop from the UK. Many thanks Samantha, a great round.
1. Which Roman Emperor commissioned the great wall, which roughly follows the Anglo-Scottish border?
2. Which great Sir John Vanbrugh house so displeased the Duchess of Marlborough she withheld payment for a significant period?
3. And which other Vanbrugh house was used as the setting for much of the celebrated TV adaptation of Brideshead Revisited?
4. Who was the principal architect behind the Houses of Parliament?
5. In which city is the Byzantine domed masterpiece, the Hagia Sophia?
6. Which engineer designed the Clifton Suspension Bridge?
7. Sir John Soane designed which famous financial institution?
8. For which artist was the Philip Webb-designed Red House built in Bexleyheath?
9. Which early Gothic Cathedral has become legendary for its stained glass Rose windows?
10. Which London architect designed the Queen's House at Greenwich and planned Covent Garden?
11. What year was the Sydney Opera House completed?
12. Which American architect designed New York's Guggenheim Museum?
13. Which Scottish architect designed the Art Nouveau Glasgow School of Art, and later became a popular watercolour artist?
14. Which Cass Gilbert epic structure, built between 1910 and 1913, dominated New York's skyline as the world's tallest building for a quarter of a century?
15. And which two other buildings broke this record in successive years in 1930 and 1931?
16. Which great neo-classical Russian museum was designed as a private showroom for Catherine the Great?
17. Who wrote a fictional biography of the life of the mysterious ecclesiastical architect Nicholas Hawksmoor?
18. Whose best-known work, the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, remains unfinished?
19. In which modern country is the Great Mosque at Samarra, the world's largest mosque, situated?
20. Which architect designed Paris's Pompidou Centre, and with which other modern master did he form Team 4?
2. Blenheim Palace
3. Castle Howard
4. Sir Charles Barry
6. Isambard Kingdom Brunel
7. Bank of England
8. William Morris
10. Inigo Jones
12. Frank Lloyd Wright
13. Charles Rennie Mackintosh
14. Woolworth Building
15. The Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building
17. Peter Ackroyd
18. Antoni Gaudi
20. Richard Rogers; Norman Foster