List of Ship Ferry and Submarine Disasters
1912, 1062 died when TITANIC, 46.329 BRT collided with iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic Ocean.
May 7th, 1915 the Lusitania, 32.000 BRT was sunk by German "U 20". Out of 1,959 passengers 1,198 died.
30th January 1945, German Wilhelm Gustloff, 25,484 tons, exactly 9,343 deaths, sunk in the Baltic Sea.
April 16, 1945 German fugitive ship "Goya" went down at Rixh?ft with 6,500 fugitives.
July 25th 1956 Andrea Doria sinks off New York. 50 passengers die out of 1962 on board.
March 6, 1987: Channel ferry Herald of free Enterprise capsized at Zeebr?gge harbour with 193 deaths.
20th December 1987, Dona Paz, a Philippine ferry collided with a tanker and sank with 4,341 passengers.
April 1990, a fire raged through the Scandinavian Star ferry, Oslo-Copenhagen, killing 158 passengers.
August 22, 1994 sinking of the Estonia in the Baltic Sea, which claimed 852 lives.
Sub Wrecks on the Ocean Floor
- April 10, 1963: USS Thresher sinks off the New England coast with all 129 men aboard. It sits at a depth of 8,530 feet.
- May 22, 1968: USS Scorpion sinks east of the Azores in the Atlantic Ocean with 99 men aboard. It sits at a depth of 9,860 feet.
- April 11, 1970: Soviet November class submarine sinks in the Bay of Biscay outside Spain in the Atlantic Ocean. It sits at a depth of 15,354 feet.
- Oct. 3, 1986: Soviet submarine catches fire and sinks east of Bermuda, killing three sailors. Nuclear warheads also reportedly broke open, spewing plutonium into the Atlantic. It sits at a depth of 16,404 feet.
- April 7, 1989: Soviet submarine, the Komsomolets, catches fire and sinks off Norway, killing 42 of the 69 sailors aboard. It sits at a depth of 4,500 feet.
- August 12, 2000: Soviet submarine, the Kursk, sinks off Murmansk with 118 sailors aboard.