1. The Scottish Crossbill is the only what in the UK?
2. Which disease did Christopher Columbus introduce to Europe?
3. The orange colour of carrots is the result of Dutch cultivation in the 17th Century, when patriotic growers turned an existing vegetable into the colour of the national flag. What colour were carrots prior to this cultivation?
4. Which country has more people of African descent than any country outside of Africa?
5. Plus or minus two, how many polar bears are there in the UK? (Source data from: January 2008)
6. Etiquette dictates that at dinner parties, which of the following statements is true:
a: a man should always talk to the woman on his left during the first course, and right during the main course.
b: a man should always talk to the woman on his right during the first course, and left during the main course?
7. French President Nicolas Sarkozy never had dinner at home in how many years, according to his ex-wife Cecilia:
b: Four or
8. Although Liverpool has been named European capital of culture for 2008, they are not alone in having this title. Stavanger has also been awarded the title. In which country is Stavanger?
9. Which country has the most amount of fast food addicts as a percentage of total population?
10. 2008 is the first year in how many years that neither the president nor his deputy would seek re-election in the United States?
1. Native bird, all other birds originated elsewhere
2. Syphilis The first recorded epidemic of syphilis in Europe broke out among French troops in 1495 - two years after Columbus returned from his first voyage across the Atlantic, prompting speculation that the disease originated in the Americas. This type of syphilis - Treponema pallidum subspecies pallidum - is spread by sexual intercourse. The troops, made up largely of mercenaries, returned to their homes and spread the disease across Europe.
4. Brazil - half the population is said to be either black or mixed race.
5. One - in Edinburgh zoo
6. a: a man should always talk to the woman on his left during the first course, and right during the main course.
7. c: Eight years
9. The United Kingdom, followed closely by the USA.
10. Fifty years