Alternate As Quiz 3
This quiz was very kindly donated by Alan MacDonald. Many thanks once again Alan.
Alan writes: "each answer has at least two 'A's separated by a letter - as in my name Alan."
1. The name of which Italian entertainment venue translates into English as "the staircase"?
2. Located on the West coast of S.America and stretching for over 600 miles, what is the driest place on earth?
3. Which well known and often used mystical word is said to come from the Aramaic phrase "I create as I speak"?
4. On June 8th 1982, Which British ship was damaged beyond repair by Argentinian aircraft at Bluff Cove in the Falklands War?
5. Which word is derived from the Sanskrit for "great" or "high king"?
6. Which US President was born on Hawaii?
7. Tenzin Gyatso is the 14th and current holder of which religious title?
8. Which modern word is derived from the Persian for a group of merchants or pilgrims travelling together?
9. Which popular snack/appetiser takes its name from the local word for "lids"?
10. According to legend, which amphibian is able to withstand any heat and put out fires?
1. LA SCALA
2. ATACAMA DESERT
4. SIR GALAHAD
6. BARACK OBAMA
7. DALAI LAMA