The following quiz round was submitted by Steven Fry from the UK. Many thanks Steven, a nice round.
1. What name is given to a small robust clock enclosed in a glass-sided metal frame, usually with a handle at the top ?
2. What is the average adult pulse rate in beats per minute?
3. What did Cinderella lose at midnight?
4. As well as being called 'the morning' what other name is given to the period of time before midday?
5. What did the Ten Hours Act of 1847 British restrict?
6. How many seconds (usually) does a boxer have to be knocked down for before being considered to be knocked out?
7. How long is a nanosecond?
8. What is the thief of time? (Quotation of Edward Young 18th century writer)
9. Which novel, written in 1932 by Aldous Huxley, saw the future of humanity totally controlled on scientific principles by eugenics and drugs?
10. Which device, designed to mark exact time by a regularly repeated tick is of benefit to practising musicians?
1. Carriage Clock
2. 70 (full marks suggested if up to 5 out) (half marks if 6 to 10 out)
3. A tiny glass slipper
5. The working day of all workers except adult males.
6. 10 seconds
7. One thousand millionth of a second - 1,000,000,000
8. Procrastination (to put off)
9. Brave New World