Pub Quiz 137
1. What was Google's top search term for the year 2009?
2. A 'blessing' is the collective noun given to which fabled creature?
3. What is the defining characteristic of someone who suffers from Hypertrichosis?
4. Which enchanting role have both Edmund Gwenn and Richard Attenborough played in film?
5. For those of you with a sweet tooth, what are the two typical ingredients in 'Ganache'?
6. The following line is from which famous film?
"Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500"
7. Which male tennis player reached the finals of every US Open between 1982 and 1989?
8. What is a 'dendroglyph'?
9. James Bond's mother Monique Delacroix was born in which country?
10. The following words are from which Christmas songs?
a. Here we are as in olden days; happy golden days of yore
b. Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow will find it hard to sleep tonight
c. The mood is right, the spirit's up
d. With a note saying 'I love you' I meant it
e. But instead it just kept raining, a veil of tears for the virgin's birth
f. It seems so long since I could say "sister Susie sitting on a thistle"
g. Does he turn up on his sleigh, do the fairies keep him sober for a day
h. And man will live for evermore because of Christmas Day
i. Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
j. At Christmas time we let in light and we banish shade
k. Bring me flesh and bring me wine, bring me pine logs hither
11. The Pacific Islands are usually divided into three enthnogeographic groupings. Can you name them?
12. Name the artist who painted each of the following works of art.
a. The Starry Night (1889)
b. Primavera (1477-78)
c. Garden of Delights (1505-1510)
d. Snow Storm-Steam Boat off a Harbour's Mouth (1842)
13. The first found remains of an Australopithecus afarensis are better known as what? Four letters
14. David Helfgott is the central character in which critically acclaimed film?
15. What do each of the following acronyms stand for?
16. Starkey, Ed Teynte, Bill Jukes, Cecco, Noodler and William Slank all lend which man a hand?
17. Of the chemical elements of the Periodic Chart, what is the minimum number of symbols that it takes to correctly spell the
Capital of Iran?
18. Which so called profession made Matthew Hopkins (ca. 1620-1647) famous and infamous in 17th century England?
19. With the aid of the following lyrics, name the girl in each song.
a. Jubilation, she loves me again
b. She's got it, yeah baby she's got it
c. She's just a girl who claims I am the one
d. She just can't be chained to a life where nothings gained
e. She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness
f. A pretty nice girl but she doesn't have a lot to say
g. She's often inclined to borrow somebodys dreams till tomorrow
h. She picked me up and sat me on her knee
20. In which language do each of the following mean 'Thank you'? One point for each correct answer
a. Dank je
b. Komapsumnida (Ko map sum nee da)
c. Gratiam habeo
1. Michael Jackson
3. (lots of) Hair, everywhere
4. Kris Kringle in 'Miracle on 34th Street'
5. Chocolate and cream.
6. Apocalypse Now
7. Ivan Lendl
8. An engraving in a tree trunk.
9. a. Switzerland
10. Eleven answers
a. Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas
b. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)
c. Wonderful Christmas Time
d. Last Christmas
e. I believe in Father Christmas
f. All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth
g. Merry Xmas Everybody
h. Marys Boy Child
i. Blue Christmas
j. Do they know it's Christmas
k. Good King Wenceslas
11. Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia.
12. Four answers
a. Van Gogh
b. Sandro Botticelli
c. Hieronymus Bosch
d. JMW Turner
15. Four answers
a. self contained underwater breathing apparatus
b. joint photographic experts group
c. president of the United States
d. Thomas A. Swift's electric rifle
16. Captain Hook. Pirates in Peter Pan.
17. Four (Te-Tellurium, H-Hydrogen, Ra-Radium, N-Nitrogen)
18. Witch Hunter. He gave himself the unofficial title 'Witch Finder General'.
19. Eight answers
a. Cecilia (Simon and Garfunkel)
b. Venus (Shocking Blue)
c. Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
d. Ruby Tuesday (Rolling Stones)
e. Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac)
f. Her Majesty (The Beatles)
g. Emily. From the song 'See Emily Play' (Pink Floyd)
h. Lola (Kinks)
20. Four Answers: