Pub Quiz 163
1. How many Oscar winning films for best picture have an animal or animals in the title? Extra points for the film titles.
2. According to a 2008 UN estimate, how many horses are there in the world? Plus or minus 10 million.
3. The French call it La Manche, meaning 'the sleeve'. What is it called in English?
4. Which famous spy and adventurer wrote the book 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom'?
5. With 39 years and 321 days, who is the oldest player to debut in a FIFA World Cup tournament?
6. The word 'horde' stems from which language?
a. Danish b. Mongolian c. German d. Hindi
7. Where was John Jacob Astor IV when he died?
8. On which continent are all of the following languages spoken?
Baule, Twi-Fanti, Azeri, Chiga, Edo and Hadiyya
9. Twenty five square feet of land in which US state officially belongs to the UK?
a. New York state b. Massachusetts c. Hawaii d. Rhode Island
10. The following words are from songs with a street name (street, road, alley etc) in the title. Can you name the song? One point for each correct answer.
a. Hello lamp post what cha knowin
b. He's gonna give up the booze and the one night stands
c. Four of fish and finger pies
d. They say the neon lights are bright
e. I was born in a trunk
11. What is the more common name for triatomic oxygen?
12. The following foods are associated with which country? One point for each correct answer.
13. Which player in this years FIFA World Cup has scored at least 5 goals in each of the last two World Cup tournaments?
14. Which famous conqueror's title translated means 'ocean ruler'?
15. What are the four largest landlocked countries in Africa?
16. Which language do Walloons speak?
17. In which harbour city did the Rainbow Warrior sink?
18. The alcohol in Brazils national drink Caipirinha is called Cachaca. Cachaca is fermented what?
19. The name of which Russian city loosely translated means 'possess the east'?
20. Zener cards are used in experiments to test for what?
1. Four. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Deer Hunter, Dances with Wolves and The Silence of the Lambs
3. The English Channel
4. T. E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)
5. David James
6. b. Mongolian
7. On board the RMS Titanic
9. c. Hawaii (around the James Cook monument)
10. Five answers
a. 59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy)
b. Baker Street
c. Penny Lane
d. On Broadway
e. Tobacco Road
12. Six answers
d. South Korea
f. South Africa
13. Miroslav Klose
14. Genghis Khan
15. Niger, Chad, Mali and Ethiopia
16. French (in Belgium)
17. Auckland NZ