1. What is the celestial sounding name of the major port city on the White Sea?
2. Which 1880 novel from Lew Wallace, later a Hollywood blockbuster and Academy Award winner, was the first work of fiction to be blessed by a Pope?
3. Manitoulin Island in Canada holds which superlative?
4. Which word in the film Gremlins is Cantonese for monster or demon?
5. Which two US manned space programs preceded Apollo?
6. The following are the first words to which famous Sci-fi book?
"The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended."
7. With 1,038 km, what is the longest river on the Iberian peninsula?
8. With 3 hours and 54 minutes (234 min), which Oscar winner for best picture is the longest?
9. Which fabled writer is credited with the following words of wisdom?
"Don't count your chickens before they hatch"
10. The following words are from songs with the word 'Pretty' in the title. Can you name the song? One point for each correct answer.
a. Cause her hair glows like the sun, and her eyes can light the sky
b. I don't believe you, you're not the truth
c. Don't ask us to attend 'cos we're not all there
d. Wake up you sleepy head, put on some clothes, shake up your bed
11. What couldn't cope recently at 47 47?
12. 'Two Socks' plays a role in which Academy Award winning film for Best Picture?
13. Name the city in which the following airports are found?
a. Lester B. Pearson International
b. George Bush Intercontinental
d. Batman Airport
e. Pudong International
14. Donald Duck's penny pinching uncle Scrooge was born in which European city?
15. With the aid of the following initials, name the Beatles songs with a womans name in the title. One point for each correct answer.
a. D P
b. M M D
c. P P
d. S S
e. A (G T H)
16. Sagarmatha (goddess of the sky) is better known in English as what?
17. Name the five female tennis players who have won 18 or more Grand Slam Singles Titles. One point for each correct answer.
18. What are the six most populated cities in Canada? One point for each correct answer.
19. What is the Greek word for an Egyptian Christian?
20. What was Ivanhoe's first name?
1. Archangel or Arkhangelsk
2. Ben Hur, A Tale Of The Christ. (blessed by Pope Leo XIII)
3. World's largest inland island
5. Mercury and Gemini
6. 2001 A Space Odyssey (Arthur C Clarke)
7. Tagus, Tajo, Tejo
8. Gone With The Wind
10. Four answers
a. Pretty Flamingo (Manfred Mann)
b. Oh Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison)
c. Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols)
d. Oh You Pretty Things (Bowie)
11. The electronic score board. (on Court 18 during the marathon match between Isner and Mahut at Wimbledon)
12. Dances With Wolves (Two Socks is the lone wolf)
13. Five answers
d. Batman (Turkey)
14. Glasgow (Scrooge McDuck)
15. Five answers
a. Dear Prudence
b. Martha My Dear
c. Polythene Pam
d. Sexy Sadie
e. Anna (Go To Him)
16. Mt. Everest
17. Margret Smith Court (24), Steffi Graf (22), Helen Wills Moody (19), Martina Navratilova (18) and Chris Evert (18).
18. In order, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton and Mississauga.
19. Copt or Coptic
20. Wilfred (Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe)