1. Cosmic dust which collects on the earth adds how much weight to our planet each year ?
a. 4 tons
b. 40,000 tons
c. 400,000 tons
d. 4,000,000 tons
2. A well known word for psychological privacy. Nine letters, 2nd and last letter is an "E"
3. According to the World Heath Organisation, how many people die worldwide in traffic accidents each year ?
b. 1.2 million
c. 6.1 million
d. 24 million
4. Which of the following groups has won 22 Grammy awards, a record ?
a. The Beatles
b. The Eagles
c. Fleetwood Mac
5. Name the belligerent parties in major wars that took place between each of the following years.
6. What is
a. the latin prefix for over (more) and
b. the greek prefix for over (more) ?
Both have five letters.
7. Name the four countries in the world starting with the letter "N" that drive on the left-hand side of the road. (Must be a COUNTRY !!)
8. How fast does the Gulf stream move ?
a. 7.2 km/h (4.5 mph)
b. 28.2 km/h (17.5 mph)
c. 56.2 km/h (34.9 mph)
9. What is the only EU country in which the illiteracy rate for both men and women exceeds 10% ?
10. What do Peter Falk, Sammy Davis Jr. and Rex Harrison all have in common ?
1. b. 40,000 tons Cosmic dust is a type of dust composed of particles in space which are a few molecules to 0.1 mm in size. Cosmic dust can be further distinguished by its astronomical location; for example: intergalactic dust, interstellar dust, circumplanetary dust, dust clouds around other stars, and the major interplanetary dust components to our own zodiacal dust complex (seen in visible light as the zodiacal light): Comet dust, asteroidal dust plus some of the less significant contributors: Kuiper belt dust, interstellar dust passing through our solar system, and beta meteoroids.
3. b. 1.2 million
4. d. U2
5. Five Answers
a. Boers - British
b. Chinese - Japanese
c. Algerians - French
d. Afghans - Russians
e. Iran - Iraq
6. Two answers
7. Four Answers
Nauru, Nauru, officially the Republic of Nauru, is an island nation in the Micronesian South Pacific. The nearest neighbour is Banaba Island in the Republic of Kiribati, 300 km due east. Nauru is the world's smallest island nation, covering just 21 km? (8.1 sq. mi), the smallest independent republic, and the only republican state in the world without an official capital. It is the least populous member of the United Nations. Initially inhabited by Micronesian and Polynesian peoples, Nauru was annexed and designated a 'colony' by Germany in the late 19th century, and became a mandate territory administered by Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom following World War I. The island was occupied by Japan during World War II, and after the war entered into trusteeship again. Nauru achieved independence in 1968.
8. a. 7.2 km/h (4.5 mph) The Gulf Stream, together with its northern extension towards Europe, the North Atlantic Drift, is a powerful, warm, and swift Atlantic ocean current that originates in the Gulf of Mexico, exits through the Strait of Florida, and follows the eastern coastlines of the United States and Newfoundland before crossing the Atlantic Ocean. At about 30?W, 40?N, it splits in two, with the northern stream crossing to northern Europe and the southern stream recirculating off West Africa. The Gulf Stream influences the climate of the east coast of North America from Florida to Newfoundland, and the west coast of Europe. It is part of the North Atlantic Subtropical Gyre.
9. a. Malta (men 13.6% women 10.8%) The traditional definition of literacy is considered to be the ability to read and write, or the ability to use language to read, write, listen, and speak. In modern contexts, the word refers to reading and writing at a level adequate for communication, or at a level that lets one understand and communicate ideas in a literate society, so as to take part in that society. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has drafted the following definition: "Literacy is the ability to identify, understand, interpret, create, communicate and compute, using printed and written materials associated with varying contexts. Literacy involves a continuum of learning to enable an individual to achieve his or her goals, to develop his or her knowledge and potential, and to participate fully in the wider society." In modern times, illiteracy is seen as a social problem to be solved through education.
10. Glass eye