1. The gigantic tentacular cosmic entity known as Cthulhu (ka thoo loo) is a product of which horror fiction writer's imagination?
2. The Falabella is one of the smallest examples of what in the world?
3. What are lighting technicians called in the movie industry?
4. Which World Champion was teenage supermodel Naomi Campbell dating in 1987?
5. Meaning "Old Peak" when translated, what is the name of the 'lost city of the Inca's' discovered by Hiram Bingham in 1911?
6. Which European country had a peaceful end to their dictatorship in 1974 with the 'Carnation Revolution'?
7. Which 1993 film, nominated for eight Academy Awards, begins with the words: "The voice you hear is not my speaking voice, but my mind's voice. I have not spoken since I was six years old."?
8. Which rare sperm whale byproduct is prized by perfume makers and is sometimes called 'floating gold'?
9. The name of which sensual Brazilian dance style probably stems from the Portuguese word for "a beating" or "a lashing"?
10. The following lyrics are all from songs with the word "Bad" somewhere in the song title. Can you name the song? One point for each correct answer.
a. Doctor, doctor, give me the news
b. I fear rivers over flowing, I hear the voice of rage and ruin
c. He stood 6 foot 6 and weighed 245
d. He stands about 6 foot 4
e. But you've been cold to me so long I'm crying icicles instead of tears
11. Which 1975 film was the first to earn 100 million at the box office?
12. Which actor did Melanie Griffith marry two times?
13. Which three women with the initials S. S. have won the Academy Award for Best Actress? One point for each correct answer.
14. The original Wailers were a trio consisting of Bob Marley, Bunny Livingstone and which man?
15. Laurent Blanc made history on 28 June 1998 when he became the first ever player to do what during a FIFA World Cup match?
16. Buddha's footprint is said to be found near the summit of Adam's Peak. In which country is this mountain located?
17. In terms of consumption, what is the name of the most popular banana variety in the world?
18. Which two riders both have a record 34 stage wins in the Tour de France?
19. Name the films in which each of the following villains play a role. One point for each correct answer.
a. John Doe
b. 'Angel Eyes'
c. Hans Landa
d. Anton Chigurh
20. A novel from Joseph Conrad and the name of the doomed spaceship in the 1979 film Alien. One word.
1. HP Lovecraft
2. Breed of horse
4. Mike Tyson
5. Machu Picchu
7. The Piano
10. Five answers.
a. Bad Case Of Loving You (Robert Palmer)
b. Bad Moon Rising (CCR)
c. Big Bad John (Jimmy Dean)
d. Bad Bad Leroy Brown (Jim Croce)
e. Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad (Meatloaf)
12. Don Johnson
13. Three answers. Susan Sarandon, Sissy Spacek, Simone Signoret.
14. Peter Tosh
15. Score a 'Golden Goal'
16. Sri Lanka
18. Mark Cavendish and Eddy Merckx
19. Four answers.
b. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
c. Inglourious Basterds
d. No Country For Old Men