1. Which 1980 black and white film was nominated for eight Academy Awards?
2. Overseas territories excluded, which four countries would be first alphabetically on a list of countries that drive on the left hand side? One point for each correct answer.
3. The singing group I Three (or I Threes) were backing vocalists for which band?
4. Which three women with the initials H. H. have won the Academy Award for Best Actress? One point for each correct answer.
5. In which country is the 3,000 km long Kunlun mountain chain?
6. Which capital is the most densely populated city in all of the Americas?
a. Mexico City, b. Brasilia, c. Port au Prince, d. Bogota
7. Which country hosted the first official FIFA Women's World Cup in 1991?
a. China, b. USA, c. Germany, d. Norway
8. Measured in total length, which country has the longest system of canals?
9. The flag of Monaco is identical to the flag of which large Asian country?
10. The following lyrics are all from songs with the word "Years" somewhere in the song title. Can you name the song? One point for each correct answer.
a. You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hands, the things you think are precious I can't understand
b. I met my old lover on the street last night, she seemed so glad to see me I just smiled
c. I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies, I saw boys, toys, electric irons and tv's
11. Gherman S Titov was the second person to do what?
12. The name for which particle stems from a Greek word meaning "indivisible"?
a. gluon, b. atom, c. proton, d. electron
13. Which music icon played the alien in the 1976 film 'The Man Who Fell To Earth'?
14. In which satirical novel is Milo Minderbinder an evil war profiteer?
15. The name of which art movement stems from a French word that evokes the ornamental use of rock and shell?
16. Since 1310, what is the name of the oldest distilled spirit in France?
a. Cognac, b. Armagnac, c. Calvados, d. Absinthe
17. In film, who is the owner of each of the following pet cats? One point for each correct answer.
b. Mr Bigglesworth
18. The villain Max Eisenhardt is better known as what?
19. Which female tennis icon won a record seven French Open singles titles?
20. Clare Quilty is an unsavoury character in which controversial novel and film?
1. Raging Bull
2. Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh
3. Bob Marley and The Wailers
4. Three answers. Helen Hunt, Holly Hunter, Helen Hayes
6. Answer c. Port au Prince
7. Answer a. China
10. Three answers.
a. Reeling In The Years (Steely Dan)
b. Still Crazy After All These Years (Paul Simon)
c. Five Years (David Bowie)
11. Orbit the Earth
12. Answer b. Atom
13. David Bowie
16. Answer b. Armangnac
17. Three answers.
a. Hermoine Granger
b. Dr Evil
c. Ellen Ripley
19. Chris Evert