1. The screenplay for Marilyn Monroe's last film The Misfits was written by her husband. Who was her husband at the time?
2. Meaning 'companion' in Russian, what shocked the United States and made headlines around the world in October 1957?
3. Who was the only man to have had a 35 year professional career as a player in football? (soccer)
4. Martha Graham revolutionised which art form?
5. Music legend Glen Campbell was a member of which famous American band between 1964 and 1965?
6. What was the code name of the herbicide used in Operation Ranchland by the Americans during the Vietnam War?
7. Name the film in which Jack Nicholson plays each of the following characters. One point for each correct answer.
a. Jack Torrance
b. J. J. 'Jake' Gittes
c. Randle McMurphy
d. Daryl Van Horne
e. The US President
8. The word vaccination was first coined by British physician Edward Jenner in the 19th century. Vacca is the Latin word for which animal?
9. The worst accident in motor racing history occured in 1955 and claimed the lives of more than 80 spectators. Where was this tragic race held?
10. The titles to which three Queen albums begin with the word 'A'? One point for each correct answer.
11. Which infamous surname does one associate with 'Papa Doc' and 'Baby Doc'?
12. The legs of which World War II pin up girl were insured for 1,000,000 dollars with Lloyds of London?
13. On August 21, 1911, the Italian patriot Vincenzo Peruggia stole which priceless object?
14. Which tennis player was stabbed by a spectator during a match in Hamburg in 1993?
15. The name of which freshwater fish is also the Greek root for fruit? (four letters)
16. Name two members of each of the following bands. One point for each correct answer.
a. The Monkees
b. The Doors
17. Which UN Secretary General, who died in a mysterious plane crash in September 1961, is the only person to have been awarded a posthumous Nobel Peace Prize?
18. Which country replaced The Sudan as the largest country in Africa in 2011?
19. What was The Democratic Republic of the Congo called between 1971 and 1997?
20. Usually typecast in the role of the creepy character, which Oscar nominee has appeared in all of the following films? (the spelling of his name does not need to be 100 % correct)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Dune, Blue Velvet, Mississippi Burning, The Exorcist III, Bride Of Chucky, The Lord Of The Rings and Alien Ressurrection.
1. Arthur Miller
2. Sputnik I
3. Sir Stanley Matthews
4. Dance (modern dance)
5. The Beach Boys
6. Agent Orange
7. Five answers.
a. The Shining
b. China Town (or The Two Jakes)
c. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
d. The Witches of Eastwich
e. Mars Attacks
9. Le Mans
10. Three answers. A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races, A Kind Of Magic
12. Betty Grable
13. The Mona Lisa
14. Monica Seles
16. Two of each of the following.
a. Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith
b. Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, John Densmore, Robby Krieger
17. Dag Hammarskjold
20. Brad Dourif (Oscar nominated for the role of Billy Bibbit in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest)