"In war truth is the first casualty" Aeschylus
"When the rich rage war, it's the poor who die" Jean Paul Sartre
1. In which films would one find the following lines?
a. You cant fight in here, this is the war room
b. This is war. This is not a game of cricket
c. Terminate with extreme prejudice
d. The lord tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're ****ed
2. Match the years below the question with each of the following military inventions:
a. atom bomb
c. aircraft carrier
e. barbed wire
f. poison gas
g. long bow
h. nuclear submarine
j. hydrogen bomb
k. dreadnought class battleship
1866 1915 1451 1874 1953 1933 1955 1917 1906 1160 1945
3. Which Roman emperor ordered his troops to throw their spears into the sea in a vain attempt to battle Neptune?
4. The following words are from which songs?
a. He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an atheist, a Jain, a Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew, and he knows he shouldnt kill.
b. A vacation in a foreign land, Uncle Sam does the best he can.
c. They fought and died for your wee bit hill and glen
d. And I dreamed I saw the bombers riding shotgun in the sky and they were turning into butterflies
e. For a soldier he leads a very fine life, and he always is blessed with a charmin' young wife
f. Don't want to see your face no more, I dont need your war machines
g. Eight to ten years after coming home almost eight hundred thousand men are still fighting the Vietnam war
5. What is the more common name for 'General Purpose'?
6. The Battle of Karansebes took place over a few days in September 1788 and was responsible for an estimated 9,000 dead and wounded. Interesting is the fact that the casualties were the result of so called 'friendly' fire. Which countrys army mistakenly battled itself?
7. Who wrote the following books?
a. All quiet on the western front
b. Slaughterhouse five
c. The longest day
d. Catch 22
8.Which French word meaning 'to sort' is used in some military emergency situations?
9.What was the largest armada ever assembled?
10. In terms of human lives, what was the costliest war fought on German soil?
1. Four Answers:
a. Dr. strangelove
b. The bridge on the river Kwai
c. Apocalypse Now
2. Eleven Answers:
4. Seven Answers:
a. Universal Soldier (Donavan)
b. In the army now (Status Quo)
c. The Flower of Scotland (Roy Williamson)
d. Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)
e. Arthur McBride (Irish folk song)
f. American Woman (The Guess Who)
g. 19 (Paul Hardcastle)
6. a. Austria (apparently schnapps played a role in this military blunder)
7. Four Answers
a. Erich Maria Remarque
b. Kurt Vonnegut
c. Cornelius Ryan
d. Joseph Heller
9. The Allied armada on D-Day
10. The Thirty Years War (1618-1648)