1. What was the name of the German refugee ship that sank after being hit by torpedoes fired by a Soviet submarine on January 30th, 1945 with the loss of around 7,700 lives - the greatest loss of life in a maritime disaster in history?
2. What is the well-known Czech word for "drudgery" or "hard work"?
3. For each of the following phobias, state what the condition is a fear of: (For example, Autophobia is the fear of being alone, hence your answer would be "being alone")
4. Bond, James Bond's cigarette of preference was?
b. Benson and Hedges
5. In tarot, which translation is hidden behind the Latin word arcana?
6. What is a single menhir called?
7. In which 'difficult state of affairs' song is the disorder "Betty Davis knees" mentioned?
8. What is a sepulchre?
9. Which Canadian actor played the Duke of Wellington in the monumental 1970 Italian Soviet film 'Waterloo'?
10. Which singer earned Rolling Stone magazines respect by being voted the number one vocalist in their recent 100 Greatest Singers Of All Time issue?
11. Which Indonesian island lies between Java (to the west) and Lombok (to the east)?
12. Michael "Air" Jordan finished his professional playing career with which team?
13. The following words are the first words to which famous song:
"How does it feel to treat me like you do"?
14. What is the name of the largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto? For a bonus point, in which decade was it discovered?
15. Which Aviator designed and flew the world's first four-engine aircraft in 1913 and later founded a large helecopter manufacturer?
16. The Challenger Deep is the deepest what on earth?
17. What was the name of the Dodge Charger driven by the Duke cousins Bo and Luke in the television series The Dukes of Hazzard?
18. What is the English name for the stretch of water that the French refer to as 'the sleeve'?
19. True or false: Austria has no compulsory school attendance.
20. In 1920, which country was the first to legalise abortion?
21. In which year was Prince Charles invested as The Prince of Wales?
22. Name the Prison in TV?s Porridge.
23. In which present-day country is the biblical land of Sheba?
24. Which company manufactured the Lancaster bomber?
25. In which cult film did Charles Grey play a singing criminologist?
26. Who was the first man to win the World Heavyweight Boxing Title under the Marquis of Queensbury Rules?
27. Innocence of Father Brown and The Wisdom of Father Brown were the work of whom?
28. Which Scottish former jockey has the first names William Hunter Fisher?
29. Which sport was played by Jahangir Khan?
30. Who was shot in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?
1. MV Wilhelm Gustloff
2. Robota (Robot)
3. Nine Answers
c: The number 666,
f: Fear itself,
4. answer d. Chesterfield
6. A monolith
7. Industrial Disease, Dire Straits. "I don't know how you came to get Betty Davis knees but worst of all young man you've got industrial disease"
8. A burial tomb, vault or chamber.
9. Christopher Plummer
10. Aretha Franklin
12. Washington Wizzards
13. Blue Monday (New Order)
14. Charon. (Bonus: 1970s, it was discovered in 1978)
15. Igor Sikorsky
16. The deepest surveyed point / trench in the oceans, with a depth of about 11,000 metres
17. The General Lee
18. The English Channel (La Manche, in French, meaning the sleeve)
20. a: Russia
22. Slade Prison
25. Rocky Horror Picture Show
26. Gentleman Jim Corbett
27. G K Chesterton
28. Willie Carson
30. Robert Kennedy