1. Which vegetable got its name from the Greek word for "sprout" or "shoot"?
2. True or False: Sponges are animals?
3. What painting did Francesco di Bartolomeo di Zanobi del Giocondo allegedly commission in 1503?
4. From which of Shakespeare's play is the line "If you prick us, do we not bleed""? (BQ: who says it?)
5. Which period in the development of human culture did not exist:
a) Brass Age, b) Bronze Age, c) Iron Age or d) Copper Age?
6. Spartacus, Roman slave and gladiator, was born in which country?
7. The Santa Ana in California, the Brickfielder in South-East Australia and the Haboob in Sudan are all
a) winds, b) mountains, c) deserts or d) rivers?
8. Which sea does the Volga river flow into?
9. What colour jersey does the leader in the points competition (best sprinter) at the Vuelta a España bicycle race wear
a) golden, b) green with white polka dots, c) red & white striped or d) blue with yellow fish?
10. In which sport does the Gillette Cup get contested?
11. What colour is a female blackbird?
12. In the 1994 movie "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein", Robert DeNiro played the monster. Who played the role of Victor Frankenstein?
13. Which TV character runs a shop called 'The Leftorium'?
14. Walter Mondale was Vice President of the United States under which President?
15. Which island do the Dominican Republic and Haiti share?
16. "For the good of the Game" is the official slogan of which sporting organisation?
17. Which boxing champion is known by the nickname of "Dr. Iron Fist"?
18. Lucrezia Borgia was the daughter of a
a) pope, b) king, c) executioner or d) gondolier (oarsman)?
19. Known from the 1957 movie, in which country is the River Kwai?
20. The Quagga is an extinct subspecies of what animal?
3. Mona Lisa (La Gioconda)
4. The Merchant of Venice(Shylock)
5. a) Brass Age
6. Thrace (Bulgaria)
7. a) winds
8. Caspian Sea
9. d) blue with yellow fish
12. Kenneth Brannagh
13. Ned Flanders in the Simpsons
14. Jimmy Carter
17. Vitali Klitschko
18. a) pope