Alphabetical Quiz 33
The following quiz round was submitted by Ted Smith from the UK. Many thanks Ted, a great idea.
The idea is that all the answers to the following questions follow each other in alphabetical order.
1. Whose paintings include "Mrs Siddons" and "Blue Boy"?
2. What was Dorothy's surname in "The Wizard Of Oz"?
3. Which 1982 British film is thought to have had 300,000 extras appear in it?
4. Which actress married and divorced both Mickey Rooney and Frank Sinatra?
5. What was the first name of Wayne's friend in "Wayne's World"?
6. Who was the runner-up in ITV's "Pop Idol" competition in 2002?
7. Which female singer had hits with "I Am What I Am" and "Never Can Say Goodbye"?
8. What sign of the zodiac is represented by the Twins?
9. Who had a hit in 1987 with the single "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight"?
10. The headquarters of the World Health Organisation can be found in which city?
11. What are the first names of Enid Blyton's famous five?
12. What 1984 film starred Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Sigourney Weaver?
13. What was James Dean's last film?
14. Which strait links the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean?
15. Which actor provides the voice for Rocky in the film "Chicken Run"?
16. What is the only animal which, for both genders, is born with horns on its forehead?
17. Found in central Africa, an okapi is a mixture of what two animals?
18. Which word in the English language originated from the Latin word for "sword"?
19. Who became the first American to orbit the Earth in 1962 and returned to Space in 1997?
20. Who played Mel Gibson's sidekick in the 'Lethal Weapon' films?
21. Which desert is found in South East Mongolia and Northern China?
22. Which 1974 sequel won six Oscars?
23. Which actress won an Oscar for the 1990 film "Ghost"?
24. In which film did Pierce Brosnan play James Bond for the first time?
25. Later adapted into a successful film, what was the title of Margaret Mitchell's one and only novel?
26. Which Radio 1 DJ announced he was leaving in August 2002, after 15 years?
27. Which goalkeeper played football and cricket at international level for Scotland?
28. Dustin Hoffman's first major role was in what 1967 film?
29. The Italian word for "scratched drawings" is used commonly in English. What is it?
30. Which Australian golfer won the US Open in 1981?
31. With which book would you associate the characters of Magwitch and Estella?
32. Which song was a hit for both Freddie Mercury and The Platters?
33. In which film did Tom Hanks play a prison guard called Paul Edgecomb?
34. What two names are given to the new and old styles of calendar?
35. In what 1984 film does "Gizmo" appear? .
36. Who was the lead singer with the pop group Altered Images?
37. Used in the English language, what word translates as "little war" in Spanish?
38. The Bible is the best selling non-copywrited book in the world. What is the best selling copywrited book?
39. In which 1955 film does Frank Sinatra play Nathan Detroit?
40. With which sport would you associate Nellie Kim?
1. Thomas Gainsborough
4. Ava Gardner
6. Gareth Gates
7. Gloria Gaynor
11. George, Julian, Dick, Anne and Timmy
14. Gibraltar Strait
15. Mel Gibson
17. Giraffe and Zebra
18. "Gladiator" from the Latin word "Gladiolus"
19. John Glenn
20. Danny Glover
22. The Godfather: Part II
23. Whoopi Golberg (for best supporting actress)
25. Gone With The Wind
26. Mark Goodier
27. Andy Goram
28. "The Graduate"
30. David Graham
31. Great Expectations
32. The Great Pretender
33. The Green Mile
34. Gregorian and Julian (old style)
36. Claire Grogan
38. The Guinness Book Of Records
39. "Guys and Dolls"