New Year Quiz 2
1. Portuguese navigators discovered 'The river of January' on Jan 1st 1502. What is 'The river of January'?
2. The best selling record in the world in 1956 was recorded on New Years Day in Nashville. What was the name of the song?
3. On Jan 1st 1907 US President Theodore Roosevelt shook a record number of hands in one day. How many hands did he shake? Plus or minus 1,000
4. The Anglo Saxon name for January was which predatory creature?
5. Traditionally, what do the Dutch eat to usher in the New Year?
a. Raw Herring
b. Gouda Cookies
c. Oliebollen (donuts)
d. Frikadellen (Hamburger patties)
6. Which two European countries declared their independence on Jan 1st 1993?
7. The following words are from songs with the word 'YEARS' in the title. Can you name the song?
a. News guys wept and told us the Earth was really dying
b. You were the one who imagined it all
c. Bound for a star with fiery oceans, It's so very lonely
d. I want to be with you, be with you night and day
e. Don't let me hear you say lifes taking you nowhere angel
8. Which man led the offensive against French troops in Indo China that began on Jan 1st 1950?
9. The US Congress prohibited the importation of what into the USA on Jan 1st 1808?
10. The first mobile phone call in Britain was made by which comedian on Jan 1st 1985?
a. Spike Milligan
b. Billy Connelly
c. Benny Hill
d. Ernie Wise
11. On New Years Day 1925 Norway changed the name of its capital city to Oslo. What was the previous name?
12. Which 1972 film and mega box office success took place between New Years Eve and New Years Day?
13. What announcement did Emperor Hirohito of Japan make on Jan 1st 1946?
14. In which film did Helen Mirren appear with the word 'Year' in the title?
15. The European Economic Community (EEC) was first established on Jan 1st of which year? plus or minus 1
16. In which film did Mickey Rourke appear with the word 'Year' in the title?
17. Who sang the following 'Year' songs? 1 pt. for each correct answer
a. Disco 2000
c. In the year 2525
e. December 1963 (Oh What a Night)
g. New York Mining Disaster 1941
i. Munich Air Disaster 1958
18. The Commonwealth Of Australia was proclaimed on New Years Day in which year? plus or minus 5 years
19. Traditionally, what do people in Portugal eat when the clock strikes 12 on New Years Eve?
a. 12 grapes
b. 12 sardines
c. 12 oysters
d. 12 almonds
20. A BOAC turboprop Bristol Britannia flew from London to New York in record time on Jan 1st 1958. Plus or minus 1 hour, what was the record time?
1. Rio de Janeiro
2. Heartbreak Hotel
4. Wolf. Wolf monath
5. c. Oliebollen (donuts)
6. Czech Republic and Slovakia
7. Five answers
a. Five Years (David Bowie)
b. All Those Years Ago (George Harrison)
c. 2000 Light Years From Home (Rolling Stones)
d. New Years Day (U2)
e. Golden Years (David Bowie)
8. Ho Chi Minh
10. d. Ernie Wise
12. The Poseidon Adventure
13. That he was not a god
14. 2010 (The Year We Make Contact)
16. The Year Of The Dragon
17. Nine answers
c. Zager and Evans
d. David Bowie
e. Four Seasons
f. Smashing Pumpkins
g. Bee Gees
19. a. 12 grapes
20. 7h 57 m