Connections Quiz 50
The following quiz round was submitted by Gavin Wilson from the UK. Many thanks Gavin, great job!
1. Which English football club have won the European Cup on more occasions than their own domestic top flight league.
2. The sex scenes in which 1992 movie were apparently so choreographed that Sharon Stone referred to herself and co-star Michael Douglas as 'the horizontal Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers of the 1990's'
3. Which populare flavour of crisps would you be enjoying if they were flavoured with sodium chloride and acetic acid.
4. What are the names of the two monster roommates on the long-running television show 'Sesame Street', who appear together in numerous skits, forming a comic duo that is one of the centerpieces of the programme.
5. Published in 1984, what is the title of Iain Banks first novel, the title reffering to a huge clock face encased in a glass box and salvaged from a local dump.
6. Which British female athlete competed in six consecutive Summer Olympic games between 1976 and 1996, winning gold in her chosen event in 1984.
7. What (recently demoted) celestial body was discovered by the American astronomer Clyde Tombaugh on February 18th 1930
8. Which much celebrated British programme is listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running science fiction television show in the world.
9. In a short story by Washigton Irving which title character falls asleep in the Catskill Mountains for 20 years.
10. What name was given to the series of confrontations between the UK and Iceland in the 1950's and 1970's regarding fishing rights.
1. Nottingham Forest - League winners in 1978 and European Cup winners in 1979 & 1980
2. Basic Instinct
3. Salt and Vinegar
4. Bert and Ernie
5. The Wasp Factory
6. Tessa Sanderson - Javelin chucker
8. Doctor Who
9. Rip Van Winkle
10. The Cod Wars
and the connection is 'Acronyms' -
Forest - Freedom Organisation for the Right to Enjoy Smoking Tobacco,
Basic - Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code,
Salt - Strategic Arms Limitations Talks,
Ernie - Electronic Randon Number Indicator Equipment,
Wasp - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant,
Tessa - Tax-Exempt Special Savings Account,
Pluto - Pipe-Lines Under The Ocean,
Who - World Health Organisation,
Rip - Rest In Peace,
Cod - Cash On Delivery