1. Which weight class in boxing takes its name from a village in Java?
2. What was both the largest and lightest building in Europe in 1851?
3. What was the name of the fire demon that haunted the 'Mines of Moria'?
4. Which letter of the alphabet was 'The Scarlet Letter'?
5. Which shout or cheer translated means '10,000 years'?
6. The following are the first words to which famous books? One point for each correct answer.
a. "Mr. Jones of the Manor farm....."
b. "My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip......"
c. "Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy."
7. Although the official title of a world famous 1876 Edgar Degas painting is 'Au Cafe', it is better known as which alcoholic drink?
8. B in Roman notation with a line above denotes which number?
9. Which actor or actress has been Oscar nominated a record 17 times?
10. What is the name of the ruthless grand master of Soviet espionage in the novels 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' and 'Smiley's People'? One word.
11. Acol is a common system used in which game?
12. What are the middle names of each of the following renowned authors? One point for each correct answer.
a. James Cooper
b. William Thackeray
c. Harriet Stowe
d. Eric Remarque
13. Which film, a winner of eight Academy awards, is loosely based on Christopher Isherwood's novel 'Goodbye to Berlin'?
14. What is the scientific name for the constellation known as the 'Great Bear'?
15. The following are the first words to which song?
"When the moon is in the seventh house"
16. Asklepios was the Greek god of which profession?
17. How many hurdles face a 400m hurdles jumper?
18. The Ancient Mariner was penalized for shooting what kind of bird?
19. John Reid and his Scottish friends introduced which sport to the USA in 1888?
20. Which city is used by Rastafarians to designate the ungodly Western civilization?
2. Crystal Palace
5. Banzai !!
6. Three answers.
a. Animal Farm
b. Great Expectations
c. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
7. Absinthe (L'Absinthe)
9. Meryl Streep
12. Four answers.
14. Ursa Major
15. Age of Aquarius