The following quiz was kindly donated by Jay Patrick. Many thanks Jay, great work. Jay would like the website http://www.dragonarttattoo.net mentioned on our site in return for his quiz inclusion.
1. Which communist state was ruled by the Volkskammer?
2. Which eastern European country maintained close relations with China?
3. Which exiled Czech wrote 'The Joke'?
4. Which general introduced martial law in Poland in 1981?
5. Which newspaper used 'Iron Curtain' earlier in the sense of protection?
6. Which Soviet foreign minister formulated the Sinatra doctrine?
7. Which treaty organisation was set up as a counterpart to NATO?
8. Which US president said in a TV interview in 1976, 'There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe.'?
9. Who described the Soviet Union as 'The Evil Empire'?
10. Who first popularised the expression 'Iron Curtain'?
11. Who succeeded Stalin as Communist Party leader?
12. Who was East Germany's last Chairman of the Council of State?
13. Who was the first Soviet statesman to hold the posts of general secretary and president simultaneously?
14. Who was the leading statesman of East Germany in the 1950s and 1960s?
15. Why was the Sinatra doctrine so called?
1. East Germany
3. Milan Kundera
7. Warsaw Pact
8. Gerald Ford
9. Ronald Reagan
12. Erich Honecker
14. Walter Ulbricht
15. Each country to construct foreign policy on a 'my way' basis