The following questions and answers are all related to the topic of famous inventions:
1. Louis Pasteur has been accredited with the development of three major vaccinations that are still used today. Name the three diseases that his most famous vaccinations prevent.
2. Who invented the concept of the Travel Agency in 1841 - a concept which still exists today?
3. Safety belts (car seat belts) first appeared in cars back in 1949. Which car company brought about this life-saving technology? Five letters.
4. Nestl? were the first commercial company produce and market instant coffee. In which year was this perfected for the very first time? (+/- 5 years)
5. Ralph Scheider and Frank X. McNamara invented which everyday object in 1950.
6. Circa 1500, the scissors were first illustrated by which famous hobbiest and inventor?
7. Melvin R Bissell invented what in 1876 in the USA?
8. The following inventions were made in which century: (no need for an exact date, just the century, eg: 18th Century).
a: The Telescope
b: The Toothbrush
c: The Piano
e: Morse Code?
9. Which revolutionary crime-solving technique was first demonstrated at the University of Leicester by Sir Alec John Jeffreys and lead to the arrest of a man for his part in the murder of two young girls?
10. What have the following words in common with one another:
The Radio tube diode, Antibiotics and James Bond?
11. Percy LeBaron Spencer invented what in 1945 in USA?
12. Which company invented the transistor radio in 1952?
13. Robert Whithead invented what weapon in 1866?
14. Calico cloth was invented in which country?
15. In which country was the the mariners compass first realised?
16. Dr F Lanchester invented what motor safety aid in 1902?
1. Anthrax (1881), Cholera (1880) and Rabies (1885)
2. Thomas Cook
5. The credit card - even though paying waith cards was possible before 1950, Schneider and McNamara developed the way of consolidating all payments to merchants through just one card.
6. Leonardo Da Vinci
7. The Carpet Sweeper
8. Five Answers:
a: 17th century (1608: Hans Lippershey)
b: 15th Century (1498: in China)
c: 17th Century (1700: Bartolomeo Cristofori)
d: 19th Century (1860: Fredrick Walton)
e: 19th Century (1835: Samuel Morse)
9. DNA Fingerprinting
10. The surname Fleming. 1: John Ambrose Fleming, 2: Alexander Fleming and 3: Ian Fleming
11. The Microwave oven
13. The torpedo
16. Disk Brakes