1. No one is certain about the exact location of Bannavem Taberniae, St. Patricks birthplace, but many scholars suggest it is in present day :
2. Smuggled snakes excluded; name the four countries without any snakes.
3. The following are the first lines to books by which Irish writers ? (extra point for each book title)
a. Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road.....
b. 3 May. Bistritz.- Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning.....
4. Plus or minus 1, how many Irish born men or women have won the Oscar for best actor/actress ?
5. What was the Latin name for Ireland ?
6. Once upon a time(15th and 16th centuries) it was widely accepted in Ireland that rats could be destroyed by which of the following: a. rhyming verse b. holy water c. the sound of pipes d. the sound of mourning widows
7. Fotla, Elga, Banba, Gort Gaedheal, Clar Conn and Five Fifths are all examples of what ?
8. Which 'measured' American writer said
"Give an Irishman lager for a month, and he's a dead man.
An Irishman is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it.
But whisky polishes the copper and is the saving of him"
9. Kevin Barry was just a lad of how many "summers" ?
10. Who wrote these words in his memoirs ?
"I saw a fleet of fishing boats.... I flew down almost touching the craft and yelled at them, asking if I was on the right road to Ireland ."
1. a. Wales
2. Four Answers
and I'll accept Greenland.
3. Two Answers
a. James Joyce , Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
b. Bram Stocker , Dracula
4. 0 !
6. a. rhyming verse "I was never so be-rhymed since Pythagoras' time, that I was an Irish rat" Shakespeare. As you like it, III ii (1599)
7. Names for Ireland.
8. Mark Twain
9. 18 (See Pauls numbers Quiz 1. answer 10)
10. Charles Lindbergh