1. According to the Chinese Zodiac, the Year of 2009 was the Year of which animal?
For a bonus point: ironically, what is this animal said to symbolise?
2. At the start of 2009, the Czech Republic took over the presidency of the Council of the European Union, but from which country?
3. Geir Haarde resigned as Prime Minister of which country after the government and banking system of his country collapsed?
4. Which treaty, initially known as the Reform Treaty, came into force on the 1st of December 2009?
For a bonus point: This treaty amends which 1992 treaty?
5. Which popular American character actor of stage, director, martial artist, spokesman and singer, best known for his work in the 1970s television series Kung Fu, tragically died in June 2009?
6. Football legend Sir Bobby Robson CBE passed away on the 31st of July 2009. Sir Bobby managed seven European football clubs as well as the England national team. Name the seven clubs that Sir Bobby managed.
7. Which European country adopted the Euro as their national currency in January 2009 and which currency did it replace?
8. Which political leader was quoted as saying "I will take questions from the guys but from the girls I want telephone numbers" ?
9. Who was awarded the Nobel peace prize in 2009?
10. How old was Michael Jackson when he died?
11. Two European countries joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in April 2009. Name them.
12. Which politician swore live on radio when he said "The trouble with Twitter, the instantness of it, too many twits might make a tw@t" ?
13. Which Olympic champion was banned from his sport for three months after a British 'newspaper' published a photograph of him smoking marijuana?
14. Who was sworn in as Prime Minister of Zimbabwe in February 2009?
15. Who famously said "To work out how to operate a television set, you practically have to make love to the thing."?
16. Who in March 2009 said "Aids is a tragedy that cannot be overcome by money alone, and that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problem"?
17. Online, reactions to which worldwide-covered event crippled many major websites and services, as the abundance of people accessing the web addresses pushed internet traffic to unprecedented and historic levels
18. Complete the following quote made by Jim Rogers, US investment guru, back in January 2009:
"I would urge you to sell any _____ you might have ... It's finished."
19. Which famous film director was arrested in September 2009 in Switzerland on a United States arrest warrant?
20. Who, in November 2009, was designated the first permanent President of the European Council and which position of power did he hold at the time?
Quiz of the Year 2009 Answers
1. The Ox / Buffalo. Bonus: Prosperity The Ox, or the Buffalo sign symbolises prosperity, through fortitude and hard work. Those born under the influence of the Ox or Buffalo are fortunate to be stable and persevering. The typical Ox is a tolerant person with strong character.
4. The Lisbon Treaty. Bonus: Maastricht Treaty (1992 Treaty on European Union)
5. David Carradine (Accidental suicide)
6. Fulham, Ipswich Town, PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona, (PSV Eindhoven again), Newcastle United
7. Slovakia, replacing the Slovak koruna.
8. Silvio Berlusconi, Italian Prime Minister, addressing a youth rally in Rome
9. US President Barack Obama
10. Fifty (August 29th 1958 June 25th 2009)
11. Albania and Croatia
12. David Cameron, British Conservative Party leader
13. Michael Phelps, American swimmer
14. Morgan Tsvangirai
15. Prince Philip, the 88-year-old British royal, complaining about the difficulty of using modern remote controls
16. Pope Benedict XVI
17. The death of Michael Jackson
19. Roman Polanski
20. Herman Van Rompuy, The Prime Minister of Belgium,