Quiz of the Year 2011
1. 2011 was the year that saw the population of the world estimated at 7 billion for the very first time. In which century was the population of the world estimated to be at 1 billion?
2. Which former Thin Lizzy guitarist died in Febuary 2011?
3. The so called Arab Spring began in January 2011 with protests in which country?
4. In January 2011 Andy Murray lost to Novak Djokovic in the finals of the Australian Open. Plus or minus five, how many years has it been since a British man won a Grand Slam singles final?
5. What did Denmark ban in May 2011 that made headlines in the UK?
6. What was the final headline of the UK newspaper the News of the World, before they closed their doors in 2011?
7. What did Barrack Obama do during his state visit to Ireland that the Queen refused to during her visit?
8. About one billion television viewers watched a semi-final 'derby' between which two countries on Wednesday, 30 March 2011?
9. Like Brian Jones, Janis Joplin. Jim Morrison and Curt Cobain, which club did Amy Winehouse join in 2011?
10. What was broken by 75,000 twitter users, the Scottish Sunday Herald and the MP John Hemming?
11. At the royal wedding of 2011, guest Grace van Cutsem became an Internet sensation. Why?
12. Which country became the newest republic in the world on the 9th of July 2011?
13. What was the name of the New York City park that was home to thousands of Occupy Wall Street protesters?
14. Three women from which two countries won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2011? One point for each correct answer.
15. As of 2011, the riot police in France are not allowed to do what at lunch time?
16. Apple Computer co-Founder Steve Jobs passed away in October of 2011. He famously studied what degree subject at Reed College in Portland, Oregon:
a: Computer Engineering, b: Publishing, c: Calligraphy or d: Marketing?
17. Which European country's record of 535 days without an elected leader came to an end on the 6th of December 2011?
18. Part of Europes 'Big Five', golfing legend Seve Ballesteros died in May 2011. Can you name the other four European golfers who were part of the 'Big Five'? One point for each correct answer.
19. Which actor was booed off the stage during the debut of his one man show 'Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat is Not an Option'?
20. What did Barack Obama show US television viewers on the 27th of April 2011?
1. 19th century, 1804 to be exact.
2. Gary Moore
4. 76 years (Fred Perry won both the Wimbledon and US Open singles titles in 1936)
6. Thank you and goodbye
7. Drink a Guinness
8. Pakistan and India (semi-final of the Cricket World Cup)
9. The 27 Club
10. The super injunction from Ryan Giggs against Imogen Thomas
11. She was the child who covered her ears during the kiss scene on the balcony.
12. South Sudan
14. Two answers. Liberia and Yemen
15. Drink wine
16. c: Calligraphy
18. Four answers. Nick Faldo, Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam and Berhard Langer.
19. Charlie Sheen
20. His birth certificate