Cartoons and Animation Quiz 1
1. The following are titles of films by Walt Disney Productions in other countries. Give the original English title of the movies (perhaps print the list out and hand it around):
a: "Cap und Capper" (Germany),
"Lis i Pies" (Poland),
"Rox et Rouky" (France),
"Micke och Molle" (Sweden),
"Mads og Mikkel" (Denmark),
"Red e Toby" (Italy).
b: "Schneewittchen und die sieben Zwerge" (Germany),
"Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains" (France),
"Blancanieves y los siete enanitos" (Spain),
"Biancaneve e i sette nani" (Italy).
c: "Der Koenig der Loewen" (Germany),
"Le Roi Lion" (France),
"El Rey Le?n" (Spain),
"Il re leone" (Italy).
d: "Susi und Strolch" (Germany),
"La Belle et le Clochard" (France),
"Lilli e il vagabondo" (Italy),
"La dama y el vagabundo" (Spain).
2. Walt Disney ironically suffered from suriphobia. Suriphobia is the fear of what?
3. Which big screen cartoon character was voiced by Charles Fleischer?
4. The Simpsons became the longest running cartoon family in 1997, replacing whom?
5. What was the name of the sex-crazed cat from Robert Crumb?
6. The first cartoon with synchronized sound is often identified as Walt Disney's "Steamboat Willie", starring Mickey Mouse in 1928, but Max Fleischer's 1926 "My Old Kentucky Home" is less popularly but more correctly credited with this innovation. Fleischer patented a technology whereby animation could be traced from a live action film. By what name is this technology known? (11 letters, 2nd and 4th are both "O")
7. A webtoon is a cartoon designed to be shown on the internet. With which tool do 99% of internet cartoonists use to create a webtoon?
8. What is the name of the type of flat topped hill found in the arid regions of the western United States and in Roadrunner cartoons? Four or five letters, last letter is an 'E'.
9. What is the world's most syndicated cartoon strip, appearing in 2620 newspapers?
10. In the cartoon, what kind of bird is the roadrunner? (a roadrunner is not acceptable)
11. Along with Walt Disney, which Tex was considered to be the greatest cartoonist of his day?
12. Which cartoon bird created by Robert McKimson made his debut in "Walky Talky Hawky" in 1946? (Extra point for his middle name).
13. The following words are from which cartoon theme song?
a: overture, curtain, lights
b: he?s the boss, he`s a pip, he`s championship
c: like a streak of light he arrives just in time
d: pretending you got a sliver
e: is really a crazy clown
f: an ape named Ape
g: we`d cruise along the milky way
h: I?m one tough gazookas which hates all palookas
i: He will sleep till noon but before it`s dark
j: Think of all the animals you've ever heard about
14. In which Walt Disney classic would you find the three fairies Flora, Fauna and Merryweather?
15. Which British actor provided the voice of the evil Scar in Disney's "The Lion King"?
16. Which Disney character sang 'Some day my Prince will come'?
17. What cartoon character has vital statistics of 19-19-19?
18. Why are the popular Tom & Jerry cartoons the most criticised of cartoons?
19. What was the title of Disney's first full length animated cartoon?
20. Which Cartoon animal's favourite food is Lasagne?
21. The Thompson Twins feature in which cartoon series?
22. With which train is Oliver Postgate associated?
23. Who was the producer of the Tom and Jerry Cartoons until 1956?
24. Gus & Jaq are mice from which Disney cartoon?
25. Which cartoon character was honoured by the Dalai Lama?
26. Who was the cartoonist whose satire appeared in Punch, Private Eye and the Sunday Times?
1. a: The Fox and the Hound,
b: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,
c: The Lion King,
d: Lady and the Tramp.
2. Fear of Mice (from the French "souris", meaning mouse).
3. Roger Rabbit (in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit").
4. The Flintstones.
5. Fritz the Cat.
7. Flash (currently Adobe Flash, previously Macromedia Flash).
8. Bute or Butte.
9. Peanuts (by Charles M. Schulz).
10. Cuckoo (The roadrunners are two species of bird in the genus Geococcyx of the cuckoo family, Cuculidae, native to North and Central America).
11. Tex Avery.
12. Foghorn Leghorn (full name Foghorn J. Leghorn).
13. a: Bugs Bunny, b: Top Cat, c: Spiderman, d: Scooby Doo, e: Road Runner, f: George of the Jungle, g: Fireball XL 5, h: Popeye, i: Yogi Bear, j: The Pink Panther.
14. Sleeping Beauty.
15. Jeremy Irons.
16. Snow White.
17. Olive Oyl (from the Popeye cartoons).
18. Due to the sheer violence.
19. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937 film).
21. Adventures Of Tin Tin.
22. Ivor the Engine.
23. Fred Quimby.
25. Tintin. 'Tintin in Tibet' was published in the same year that the Dalai Lama fled the Himalayan kingdom.
26. Gerald Scarfe.